Thursday, September 08, 2005

Dear Frankie

I watched a movie called Dear Frankie. It left me feeling a little sad afterwards not really knowing why. I'm so used to watching Hollywood type endings that it's refreshing to see a movie like this one that doesn't have any dramatic ups or downs and finished with a very anti-climatic ending. I was somewhat disappointed to find out the movie was completely made up. I guess the idealistic side of me had secretely hoped that it was somehow a true story.

The whole movie had a very melancholy and beautiful romantic touch to it. It's the kind of touch that leaves one with heart-felt sadness even when the characters are laughing on screen.

And I feel a personal connection to the story, because the letter writing part struck a chord with the memory of my own childhood of writing to my father which always began with 'Dear Dad'. That experience connected me to the little boy in the story.

However, before it starts sounding like a fan with an enthusiastic movie review, cynicism kicked in and I am reminded of that in reality, there is usually nothing romantic about single motherhood or being deaf, and rarely a stranger is as handsome as Gerry Butler.

---------------
"I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas." -Calvin and Hobbes